Genetics and Genomics
Genetic and Epigenetic alterations
- This group focuses on genetic and epigenetic alterations that ultimately result in cancer initiation and progression
- The epigenetics components of this program includes DNA methylation, and chromatin modifications leading to unregulated transcription, an important component of tumor biogenesis.
DNA damage managing systems
- Another major focus of this program is DNA damage managing systems, including DNA repair, and DNA damage recognition.
- DNA damage includes that induced by mutagens, as well as chromosome instability and aneuploidy triggered by oncogenes and tumor suppressors
- Another focus of this program is cancer genomics, in which the changes in gene expression, DNA methylation, mutations, amplifications, and deletions are examined on a global scale to understand the mechanisms of cancer initiation and progression.